QUESTION: Can I have retirement savings and still meet the first Brunner prong?
ANSWER: Retirement savings may not be possible if you are having trouble paying your student loans. The court is more likely to forgive your student loans if you are not putting money away each month.
Retirement Savings Factors
If you are putting money away, be prepared to explain the following to the court:
- why you need savings at your age
- how you can justify saving money based on your income
- what year you plan to retire
- how much savings you already have
- why your savings should not be used to care for your children